2011/04/13

It's Not Just a Blank Page Thing

The fear of writing is a multi-layered, constant companion.

I guess that needs some explaining.

So I started a new story yesterday. I'm really excited about it, as it's one of those stories that pings something inside me - it's not just a plot I thought of or a character I created; it's a narrative that speaks to things I Believe and experiences I've had that shaped who I am.

I've forgotten where I found the maxim: "Write the story only you can write." I'm digging around Google looking for it, but anyway this is one of those stories, for me....

And I'm terrified. I know from experience that feeling a story doesn't mean I'm ready to write it, and that sometimes my skill level just isn't up to something my imagination asks for. I don't want to break this story.

Still, the mermaid story came to me before I was ready, and I had a ton of false starts before the real version came out. Those unsuccessful tries were frustrating, but they certainly didn't keep me from writing the successful one when the time came.

No comments:

Post a Comment